December 7, 2009

Recipe for Love
& embracing singleness (eek)

This isn't a topic I usually blog about, However, it has been weighing on my mind lately due to some recent events. As a believer, I know that there is a proper way to embrace this time (singleness) as a very special time to grow with the Lord and serve him full heartily.

However - as we all must admit- there are definitely those times when our focus is not on how to use this time wisely, but how to land our prince charming (Or Princess, if you're a guy)
We were wired to Love. That is so awesome. But also, so complicated. So, how do we do deal and embrace singleness..tough question.

A little back story on me. I have learned that I am "in love" with the idea of Love. I love romantic comedies, songs, books, etc, the list goes on and on. However, as my closest friends will tell you..I have never actually been "in love" with someone to the extent that I wanted to pursue it further. Hence, my bad track record with relationships and being the "bad guy" (girl) in the end for breaking it off. I realize now, that I was never fully prepared..armed with HOW to love someone. This is where the Lord comes in. Only He can prepare our hearts for this type of pure, unconditional, selfless love. So many of us come into relationships with past hurts, hangups, insecurities, etc. Things that have never been dealt with. Two incomplete people do not make one complete person. You see, the phrase "You complete me" is inaccurate. We must complement, not complete each other. The Lord is the master chef of LOVE and has the perfect recipe:

1) Patience
2) Kindness
3) Protection
4) Trust
5) Hope
6) Perseverance

Why do we continue to add ingredients to ruin it?

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

1 Corinthians 13:1-13


"Charm is decpetive, and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." (Proverbs 31:30)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Perfectly said! agree with everything! the only person who makes you feel like God is holding out on you is the adversary, and it uses it to blind you into thinking that God is ignoring you, when in reality he preparing to bless you more!