March 10, 2009

Dia de las Madres


Mother's Day is celebrated on different days throughout the world. According to Wiki* this day emerged from a custom of worship in ancient Greece. 

In the US, this day is celebrated the second Sunday in May. In Guatemala it is always on May 10th. This caused conflict in the Ramirez- Duarte household because the kids always wanted to celebrate it on the "American" day, but my mother always wanted to celebrate on the 10th. So, the 10th it was and the 10th it is.

If there is one thing about my mother is that she loves flowers. Well, that and surprises. And if you surprise her with flowers...well then that is a VERY good thing in her book.

So, a little history. My mother always had big dreams. She has always been a fighter and a survivor. I appreciate her so much for all the things that she has done and everything that she continues to do. I am so blessed to have her. We were the the only women in a house full of men, so we've had to stick together all these years. She spoils me, but in a good way. She has been my rock when I have needed her the most. She is loving, totally silly, and adventurous.

As my friends start to become mothers themselves, I am able to get a glimpse of what that looks like as well. What a wonderful thing to be a mother. Not always appreciated, but so very rewarding. I am very content with this phase in my life, but I also know that when that time comes for me, I will be more than excited to have my mother share it with me.

No comments: